Douthat: Why Coronavirus is Winning

• Good piece, but I don't really think Coronavirus is winning.

• It's a most excellent piece. Where it goes from here remains to be seen, but the only thing that will save us from a second wave is if the virus dies off in summer.

• Or a treatment breakthrough. That would be too soon for a vaccine breakthrough

• It's pretty much over over here. No signs of a second wave yet, despite life going back to normal.

ccce40ba-ee32-4aea-b206-8898f5a986f9-image.png

• From the article:

"But the rules bought time for warmer weather and social adaptations and hopefully a slower spread, they bought time for hospitals and masks and medical equipment, they brought us at least some distance closer to a vaccine — and on the evidence of the stock market and the jobs numbers, they did so without creating the total economic calamity that many on the right were prophesying" [and many on the left ardently hoped for].

FIFY NYT.

• Thanks for that. I missed it. I agree.

• @Mik said in Douthat: Why Coronavirus is Winning:

It's a most excellent piece. Where it goes from here remains to be seen, but the only thing that will save us from a second wave is if the virus dies off in summer.

In February I predicted that those that were saying that both sides would declare they were correct, no matter what:

"See? We told you it would be horrible!"
    "See? We told you it wouldn't be that bad!"

My next prediction? 6 Months from now, both sides will declare they were correct.

"There was a second wave! It could have/should have been avoided!"
    "Second wave? That small blip? Please..."

• I've been told we're not going back into the office until September 1st at the earliest. The company I work for is very big on risk mitigation.

Last week our CEO said Covid was single largest insurance event in history.

This isn't over yet.

• No, it's not. We're having a friend come over for dinner on the deck tonight. That's a big thing.

• @LuFins-Dad said in Douthat: Why Coronavirus is Winning:

@Mik said in Douthat: Why Coronavirus is Winning:

It's a most excellent piece. Where it goes from here remains to be seen, but the only thing that will save us from a second wave is if the virus dies off in summer.

In February I predicted that those that were saying that both sides would declare they were correct, no matter what:

My next prediction? 6 Months from now, both sides will declare they were correct.

LuFins Dad - I agree. You will be absolutely right!!!

• @LuFins-Dad said in Douthat: Why Coronavirus is Winning:

@Mik said in Douthat: Why Coronavirus is Winning:

Absolutely.

Now, lets see those comments in the context of the Floyd "protests."

• I'm waiting for the outrage and total vindication of all things TDS at any tiny pocket of violence or destruction, if Trump loses.